The learning environment I chose is experiential learning. Experiential learning is a process of learning in practice by involving students in practice and reflection. It is different from rote learning or cramming education which learners learn or absorb knowledge passively. Experiential learning pays more attention to learners’ learning process and self-initiative. To be specific, learners actively participate in the experience and can reflect on the experience, and they can reasonably understand and apply the knowledge they have learned. When problems arise, learners can solve problems and have new reflections through problems. For example, Learners learn about pandas in the zoo through contact and observation with pandas, rather than through books or other people’s descriptions. Similarly, UVic co-op is also a good example of experiential learning. Students can practice in areas of interest and gain valuable learning experiences. Research describes that experiential learning refers to all the knowledge and skills acquired by people through life, work experience, and learning, and these knowledge and skills have not passed any formal education or professional certification (Evans, 2021).

The topic of my group is drawing which is mainly about basic drawing and creative methods in drawing practice and it will be explored as a means of expressing ideas and creativity. The approach is consistent with the topic I chose. First of all, drawing requires many kinds of materials, such as 2B, 4B, 6B, HB, 2H, 4H, soft, neutral, hard, eraser, pencil sharper, and wire-bound sketchbook. I won’t tell learners the characteristics and usage of each material. I will ask learners to explore and use all materials to find their characteristics. Then, I won’t ask learners to draw a specific object. I hope that learners can actively explore the surrounding environment and find the objects they want to draw and imagined patterns. An interesting part is making collages. I will ask learners to use their drawings which are from the Material Exploration part and Practice part to make one or more collages. Learners’ process of creating collages is an expression of active participation in practice and self-initiative. They create a unique picture through thinking and imagination, and it also attracts learners to spend time and energy completing “homework” rather than submitting perfunctory homework by the deadline. The whole course revolves around learners’ active participation in the experience and Reflection on the experience, so they will be asked to share their self-reflection. That is why the approach aligns with our chosen topic.

In my final interactive learning design, I will combine experiential learning with my topic because our topic, drawing, focus more on the active practice and reflection of participants.

Evans, N., 1923. (2021). Experiential learning: Assessment and accreditation (1st. ed.). Routledge. Retrieved from https://doi-org.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/10.4324/9781003160908